Under the Big Top
Welcome to Letter 2 of Reader, Come Home
Dr. Wolf presents the complex brain activity taking place as we read – along with its functions, connections, and sequencing – as a five-ring-circus.
For the virtual book study, read Letter 2 of Reader, Come Home, watch the roundtable discussion video, and answer the following discussion questions.
What is meant by “plasticity within limits?” How has that plasticity served us, and what might it mean about the impact
How has that plasticity served us, and what might it mean about the impact of digital devices on our brains?
Ready to explore deeper? Enjoy our full Letter 2 lecture.
Reader, Come Home Virtual Book Study Letters:
- Letter 1: Reading, the Canary in the Mind
- Letter 2: Under the Big Top: An Unusual View of the Reading Brain
- Letter 3: Deep Reading: Is It Endangered?
- Letter 4: “What Will Become of the Readers We Have Been?”
- Letter 5: The Raising of Children in a Digital Age
- Letter 6: From Laps to Laptops in the First Five Years- Don’t Move Too Fast
- Letter 7: The Science and Poetry in Learning (and Teaching) to Read
- Letters 8 & 9: Building a Biliterate Brain & Reader, Come Home
- Concluding Livestream by Dr. Wolf on March 12 at 7pm ET